How to follow a healthy diet within a wallet-friendly budget
Dr. Muffi 3/3/2019 | Sunday
The increasing risk of serious health conditions is convincing a growing number of people to adopt a healthy lifestyle. But individuals who want to make healthier food choices often face the cost challenge. With food prices rising constantly, especially for premium and organic foods, many people find it a strain on their monthly budgets to invest in eating healthy on a regular basis. Cold-pressed juices, superfood powders, and other foods that boast of high-nutritional ingredients can be way more expensive than popular foods.
In fact, as per a study by the Harvard School of Public Health, people in the U.S. pay $1.50 more every day for a healthy meal in comparison to unhealthy foods. Back home in India, the situation is not very different. While you get exclusive discounts and offers on junk food, you may rarely come across a good deal on healthy or organic meals.
Here are a few simple suggestions to help you follow a healthy diet plan within an affordable budget:
- Shop according to the season: Food ingredients will often be cheaper during peak availability season. Therefore, plan your healthy diet menu as per seasonal availability. In fact, you can even pick up some of them in bulk and freeze it for later. However, some food items have a limited shelf life. So, you must keep an eye on the expiration dates to ensure you’re not consuming spoiled food.
- Make a proper meal plan: Most of you walk into a grocery store without a proper meal plan. As a result, you will end up picking random food items with limited shelf life and stock it up without using them over the week. Instead, you should make a weekly healthy diet plan to understand what food items you will truly consume during the week and therefore, avoid wastage. This will help you save on your purchases.
- Shop strategically: Generally, grocery stores run offers and discounts during specific days of the week. You can keep a track of these days and plan your store visits accordingly. Alternatively, most grocery stores give you discount coupons on a minimum purchase. This strategy of availing exclusive offers and utilizing discount coupons will help you save a great deal of money on your weekly purchases.
- Cut down on convenience costs: We prefer buying food items that are shredded or grated, or even pre-cooked to make our lives easier. However, this convenience comes at a cost. Instead, if you buy whole food items and do the peeling, cutting and grating yourself, or consider preparing your own yogurt smoothie or salad, you will save on the extra costs.
- Choose in-house/ store brands: Usually, store brands cost less in comparison to popular brands. Store brands can easily cut down the cost of advertising, research, and development from its selling price. Therefore, they turn out to be more affordable than your regular brand options.
- Organize your kitchen: Often you may buy things which you already have in your kitchen. As a result, you will spend more on your weekly food purchase than required. If only you would clean up the fridge and scan through the kitchen cabinets before visiting the store, you can avoid incurring such additional expenses.
It is evident that transitioning into a healthier diet does not mean splurging all your income on purchasing superlative options. If done the right way, you can easily stick to a wallet-friendly budget for maintaining your health or when following a healthy diet menu for weight loss.